A great fire destroys all the buildings between Charlestown Square and the Navy Yard.
The Town Dock, made obsolete by larger ships, is filled in and the entire area redeveloped.
National House, Charlestown’s finest hotel until the construction of Waverley House in 1867, is built at the corner of Chelsea and Joiner Streets in the burned area. Proprietor James Walker, an avid fisherman, often served bass in the hotel dining room he had caught from the Charles River Bridge. Rebuilt and enlarged in 1849, the hotel was later named the City Square Hotel even though it was not directly on the square.
Charlestown’s first major masonry row house development is undertaken at 7-23 Harvard Street.