Charlestown is chartered as a city. Charlestown Square is renamed City Square.
Winthrop (Training Field) School is moved across the street to present site at 5 Common Street (now private residences) and renamed the Nahum Chapin School.
Row houses at 6 and 7 Monument Square are built. They are the first houses built on the Square after it was lotted.
A larger Harvard School replaces that of 1801 on Town Hill’s Harvard Street. (Still in existence, it was converted to apartments as part of The Court-yard development in 1985.)
A new and larger Winthrop School is built at the corner of Bunker Hill and Lexington Streets.